21 June 2009

No News Yet...

Well I was hoping I'd be able to write today and say that I had a new assignment, but I don't. I checked each day this week to see if anything had come in but had nothing each day. Hopefully this upcoming week I will find out at least something. The personnel manager said the latest trends have been Mountain Home (Idaho), Hill (Utah), Luke (Arizona) that need more manning. Like I've said before. I could be going anywhere. We'll see. I graduate this Wednesday providing that I pass my last block test on Tuesday. This past week was mostly spent outdoors. Good times. We did a lot of hands on stuff with the bobtails (shortened chassis trucks that haul trailers) forklifts and jammers (small forklifts). It was a pretty good time. We all got to drive around a bobtail with two trailers attached and drive forklifts through an obstacle course. One of the days we cross-loaded a load of 6 Mk-82's from one trailer to another using the jammer and following the proper tie down procedures. It sounds all complicated. But it's really just reading instructions out of a book. Friday we got our class picture. When I get that sometime this week I will post it on here. Tomorrow we load a bunch of Mk-82's onto a 40 foot trailer and then we are done. I'm just anxious to take the test, pass it and then graduate. It seems like the past 8 weeks have flown by. I can't wait to start and get out in operational and start doing my thing.
This weekend was the big story. We found out last Tuesday that on Saturday the whole squadron would be going through remedial training. Which basically means someone screwed up big time and we all were getting punished for it. The rumor became true on Thursday when the schedule for Saturday was posted in CQ. PT at 0600 followed by Blues inspection and BMT style chow (sidestepping through serving lines, no talking, waiting to sit until there is a full table, etc.) then back to the squadron to change into our ABU's followed by a conference on teamwork and responsibility and then lunch, a good hour of drill followed by a G.I. party cleaning our rooms and hallway. It wasn't all that fun. Especially with it being as hot out as it is. But we got through it all and learned our lesson, hopefully. The MTL's said it was punishment for the past 6 or so weeks of people getting in trouble on the weekends. This past weekend was pretty bad though as there was more than a few alcohol related incidents and a few other events that the commander didn't really like. It wasn't too cool to lose my whole Saturday, but if it made us all act better then I'm ok with it. I just hope the rest of the Airmen in this squadron learned their lesson. It seemed to make the rest of the squadrons on base take notice. I was walking back from dinner after I was freed last night and more than a few people asked me about what happened and why we were all in blues, marching around.
Anyways, I hope this week goes by fast. My dream is to at least get one of the following: my assignment, orders, a date for going home. One would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment