14 June 2009

Closer To The End - Even Bigger Changes

Well...like I said last week. I really wasn't 100% sure that I was really going to Minot because of PRP. I was sitting in my room doing homework Wednesday night around 2130 (9 PM) when a runner from CQ knocked on my door and said I needed to go downstairs to the personnel office to see Mr. Baka (The personnel guy...? not sure what his title is) and sign a paper. I got a funny feeling in my stomach that I was either signing a paper saying I was still going to Minot and I passed my PRP or signing a paper saying I failed my PRP and was getting reassigned. I got down to the office and Mr. Baka looked up and immediately said "Isherwood you're not going to the great white north anymore. I'm sure you're very upset. Please hold back your tears." We then talked for a bit about why I am being reassigned and what happens next. So to summarize. I'm not going to Minot or any other PRP base. So as far as I know that's Minot and Barksdale (Louisiana) that I won't be going to. I don't have a clue as to where any other PRP bases are. I'm not permanently disqualified, just temporarily. So for now I will be going to a non-PRP base and if in the future I get sent to another base that has PRP then I will have to re-qualify. I will find out where I'm going sometime this week. Most likely I will be staying stateside, there is a small chance of me going overseas, but Mr. Baka said he's never seen someone get dq'ed from PRP and get reassigned overseas from a stateside base. Hopefully I won't be the first. I think I will be staying stateside because people who have been assigned overseas bases like Korea or England have so many more medical appointments, briefings, etc. than someone who is staying stateside does. Plus it just costs the military more money to keep me here to do all of that, and then to send me overseas. So the past few days I've been looking at potential places I could be going. Most bases look pretty nice so I feel pretty confident that anywhere I go I will be good. I am however hoping for east coast. But with seeing how the military works in the past few months, I'm not holding my breath haha. Mr. Baka told me that he's had to reassign a few people in the past few weeks from Armament (a different job than mine but still same career field) and they were reassigned to Utah, Idaho and the Carolinas. Plus there's a kid down the hall from me who was reassigned from Minot to Idaho. It doesn't mean I'll be following him though. I guess I'll just have to anxiously wait and see. This doesn't affect my job at all, it just means I won't be going to a PRP base. I could most likely be a hold over however. I will still graduate tech school on time, but I'll more than likely have to stay a little bit longer to finish all of my appointments and out-processing briefings, even longer if I have to go overseas. This is all because I don't have a base I am going to right now. So I still don't know when I will be coming home. When I do come home. It will be awesome. I'm very anxious for it and I know Zell is too. It's been hard on the both of us to be apart (and now with me not knowing where I'll end up) and I know it'll be so good to be with her again. I can't wait.
So anyways, I blocked out last Friday morning with a 100 on the test and now I'm in my final block. Block 8 covers munitions trailers, forklifts, how to load trailers and how to drive forklifts. I read through the book today and it seems like pretty easy stuff. We do a lot of hands on things in this block so it should be pretty fun. So as of today I have 9 days until I graduate tech school. It still seems like I have a lot left but the end is definitely close. I'm pretty excited about it. We are also growing "mandatory" mustaches (I PROMISE I will shave it off. I grow a very weak one.) because we haven't had a class average of 100% on quizzes for a few weeks so we decided as a class (our instructor is in on this as well) to change our luck with the mustaches, hopefully it'll work, if it doesn't it still provides some good laughs. I'll take a picture before I shave it off. This week we are also having a class lunch at every airman's favorite restaurant...buffalo wild wings...to celebrate the end. That should be pretty fun.
The weather down here has been very very hot lately. 90's for the past week and the forecast is even hotter this upcoming week. I think I'm getting a little more used to it, but it only gets this hot in Maine maybe 1 or 2 days a year, usually in August, and its only mid-June here haha. I hope I'm not stationed in Texas haha. The humidity is pretty bad too, plus with the constant wind it just makes it seem a lot hotter. We will be having a few black flag days coming up I'm betting. Black flag days are when its so hot out that we don't have PT, don't have to march (walk at ease) and we have to have a 15 minute work/rest cycle. They determine that by taking the temperature, humidity, wind-speed and making some sort of score that determines it. Usually when its above 95 degrees, its a black flag day.
This weekend was pretty fun. I hung out a lot with my friend Lisi from basic. Friday night when he gets out of school at midnight (he's swing shift) we go to the Sonic off base and then just walk around. I'm pretty partial to the Sonic breakfast burrito and blue coconut cream slushie. Good stuff haha. Saturday we took the bus to the mall off base and went to Buffalo Wild Wings again where I got a Spicy BBQ pulled pork sandwich. Yes. It was very hot. We walked around the mall for a bit, looked at things we couldn't buy (BAA "broke a*s airmen") and then came back to the base. We decided today to go to the pool. It was a pretty good choice being that it was hot again today. There are two pools on base. One of them is always constantly crowded. And then there's another one with a water slide that is never crowded. We went to this one. Much better. Why no one goes to this one is beyond me...I mean come on it has a water slide.
SO...not going to Minot...starting block 8...it's hot here...fun weekend...that's all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment