This past week was a pretty big one. I graduated tech school as a distinguished graduate and got my assignment all in the same day. Monday we were all outside in the 100 degree heat loading a 40ft. trailer with 20 Mk82's. Tuesday we blocked out, I studied a lot the night before. I had a weird feeling about the test and I wasn't about to fail and be sent back a few weeks, so I just put in the effort and time to study a little more, it paid off I guess and I got a 98. I missed a question that I basically just had to guess on because I hadn't heard of it before. I guess I didn't study enough haha. I was happy with a 98 though. It put my GPA at a 97 for the course. Wednesday we graduated. We basically waited around the whole morning, played a lot of hangman. The graduation was really quick. It lasted only about 30 minutes. Right before we were supposed to start my instructor came up to me and told me that the personnel MTL had just called in and said my assignment came in to Mountain Home, Idaho. So we then started the graduation, got our diplomas, take shake and salute the Captain and then there were some special awards for the class. The top graduate in the class went to Airman Lindh who got the highest GPA in the class. And then they gave out the Distinguished Graduate award. I'm not bragging but this award we were told isn't given out very often and it's given to Airmen who are well rounded in tech school, with academics, military professionalism, and the instructors would feel comfortable deploying with this person. My class was a very smart class, we all had GPA's close to or above a 90. So when they said my name I was pretty surprised but very happy to get it. When they first told us about this award back in the beginning of school I secretly told myself that I wanted that, I wanted to do really well at this. I guess this shows that I have. I want to continue with the successes that I've had so far and work hard at my CDC's and at Mountain Home to prove myself to my supervisors and eventually become a supervisor myself. After the graduation we all were talking for a bit and my instructor came up to me and shook my hand and told me I did a good job throughout the course. I've looked up to my instructor, he's a good teacher and he knows the AMMO job very well and I can only hope to be like him in the near future. I felt pretty proud after he told me that.Now as for my assignment in Idaho. A few weeks ago the personnel MTL told me that if he was a betting man he said I would probably be going to Arizona, Utah or Idaho. Well he was certainly right. I'm pretty excited to go there and start my job. From what I've been told Mountain Home is a really good starter base for Airmen. It's an Air Combat Command base and they are home to the 366th fighter wing. We have a bunch of F-15's there. I called my sponsor on Thursday and he told me I would be working in the line delivery shop. Basically I will be hauling munitions from the bomb dump out to the flightline where the F-15's are and hand it all off to the toads for them to load. Its definitely a nice job to have as a new Airman. The base is about 40 minutes south of Boise and its in this desert valley between two mountain ranges. This will be the furthest west I have ever gone. It will be a lot of fun, I know that. The winters are pretty mild by my standards and the summers get hot. So it will be a lot better than -40 and snow haha.
As of right now I have completed all but two of my out-processing briefings. I did them all on Thursday and Friday and now I'm simply waiting for a departure date. It should be this week. It will be really good to go home. Sheppard is way better than Lackland. But nothing beats home. And I won't be missing this place. So this week will be a lot of waiting. I get impatient easily, but it'll be worth it to get home. Hopefully there will be some lobsters and steamers waiting.
Here are some pictures from the past few weeks. Enjoy.
Ty - We are so proud of you and what you have accomplished! You've done a wonderful job throughout and have grown and experienced so much in such a short period of time. I love the positive attitude you have and now you've set goals for yourself - fly high by boy! I love you lots - and yes, we can have some ME lobstah' & steamahs when your here.....see you soon.
ReplyDelete